AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Large round bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 11/11/2010 08:27 (#1430889 - in reply to #1429725)
Subject: Re: Large round bales

Little River, TX
Its way cheaper and the twine dont tear off the bales like net does in the winter when you go to handle them

I will dispute the It's way cheaper idea. Neighbor does what few RB's I need for some hay customers, and this is his rational for net wrap.

It cost $200 an hour to run his big JD baler. With net wrap he can put 40 bales an hour out the back. With string he is limited to 20 bales an hour. Granted the material cost is more for the net, but the his cost of operation is less even with the added material cost.
Personally I prefer the net because there are fewer leaves shed tying with the wrap.

If ever we have problems, HERE, with the net freezing to the hay, or the ground than we are ALL in trouble.
Now I will say the bales I store sitting on a rock base do not have mold or deteriorated bottom hay, like I do where the hay is sitting on dirt.
I never put a pencil on it, but our academic friends at that Cow College on the Lower Brazos tell us we will pay for the rock base the first season, just with the hay saved.

Round Bale handling when my neighbor changed to net wrap I did have to change to a spike to pick up hay. Should have done that sooner, as it is a whole lot easier taking wrap or string off a bale that is on a spike than on a fork. (When I deliver hay locally to recreational agriculturalist, I pull the wrap or string off the bales for the customer. )

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 11/11/2010 08:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)