AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If you are at all interested in the state of the economy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/1/2010 16:10 (#1342103 - in reply to #1337084)
Subject: Bin floor collapse update

Pittsburg, Kansas

Not 100% as we have not had time to pull the floor up. Most likely was a chain reaction of the floor supports. One part of one side failed and cascade/domino effect caused floor to move over with grain and bin as floor collapsed. Either poor/weak design or incorrect installation is my best guess at this time but will not know till floor is out and may not know then.

At any rate insurance will not pay so be advised unless you have especially implemented  a "collapse" rider in your policy the regular policy the average agent will sell you will not cover this type of failure. Bin was loaded perfectly centered by air blower system so improper loading was not the problem like the insurance companies hired engineer said. I bought the place with the bin already on it so not much recourse to manufacturer or installers if the problem lies there. If it looks like the supports were of poor design (I have been told the design has been changed since this bin was built) I may try to get the manufacturer to at least cut me a deal of some kind of major discount on the repair parts. If I can't get some help with the replacement parts, which are substantial, most likely it will not be economical to repair. Will be cheaper to build two new 50k bins than to repair this 100K. That is the current status.

John

Edited by John Burns 9/1/2010 16:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)