AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn belt has moved
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

99MAX
Posted 8/25/2010 11:41 (#1331655)
Subject: Corn belt has moved

Stearns County, Minnesota
Are people aware of how the corn belt has moved west and north?  We took a trip through western Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado, last fall.  I was amazed at the number of irrigation pivots through that western area.  We took a trip last week through SW Minnesota, SD, and ND.  Again I was amazed that at one time, areas that were at one time planted to small grain, are now in corn.  From Jamestown, ND going east, is solid corn and soybeans, and used to be small grain.  Here in Stearns County, MN, back in the 60's, a good share of the land was used for small grain and hay.  As the dairying disappeared the acres are planted to corn.  I have never seen a better looking corn crop than I have this year.  I told my wife, I wonder where they are going to go with all this corn.  The livestock people are in a depressed condition, and will not be buying additional bushels.  The ethanol plants are limited in what they can produce with their environmental permits, at least in this area.  With 200 bushel corn yields coming this fall, where is this additional corn going to be used?  It seems to me if you can get $3.50/bushel, with yields of 200 bushels, which is $700 an acre,  I sure would take it for what the value of land is, in this area.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)