AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost one of our pet cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 8/23/2010 18:54 (#1328935)
Subject: Lost one of our pet cows

Amherst WI
I went to check on our cows today behind the house and found "Daisy" dead with her head stuck between the beater and floor of the manure spreader that was unhooked out in the pasture. She was one of the first bred heifers we brought home and was hoping she would have been one of those cows that dies of old age.

The worst part is my wife took out some sweet corn husks out there last night and said "Sally" (Daisy's buddy since she was the other bred heifer we bought at the same time) was trying to get into the spreader. I just said "stupid cow" and niether of us thought to investigate it further.

My wife is taking it pretty hard since Daisy suffered and there is a good chance it could have prevented if we had done some thing last night had we looked into why Sally was trying to get into the spreader. I don't feel too great about it myself. Why a cow would shove her head under a beater to get at some old manure that doesn't even have bedding in it is beyond me.

Oh well we still have one of her daughters, she just isn't as tame as her mother was.

Edited by hinfarm 8/23/2010 18:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)