AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lets Talk Black Baldy Cow Breeding, Give Me Your Opinions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/10/2010 14:33 (#1309167 - in reply to #1308987)
Subject: RE: Lets Talk Black Baldy Cow Breeding, Give Me Your Opinions

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I think Baldy is defined as a Hereford-Angus cross. Other crosses may give a similar looking calf but I think Angus/Hereford is the official cross of a Baldy.

As far as Hereford bull on Angus cows or vice versa I think it depends on what you have to work with.

Since there are currently more Angus cows around than Herefords, most folks would make Baldies by putting a Hereford bull on Angus cows.

There are other traits of the Hereford that show up in a Baldy. Using an Angus bull on Baldy cows will give you 1/4 Hereford traits, 3/4 Angus traits, theoretically.

I would use a Hereford/Angus cross rather than other ways of getting a BWF because of the Hereford traits such as ability to aggressively scavenge forage, calving ease (with a CE bull), maternals, disposition etc. and they are a beef breed.

To just look for any way of making a BWF you could cross Holstein/Angus and have a CAB milk cow, etc. Probably sell at a premium at McD's because they are black but they are still milk cows.

Depends if you are just looking for color or if you are looking for traits. jmho.

Jim at Dawn 

Edited by Jim 8/10/2010 14:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)