AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK...Line of sight?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 3/18/2007 09:21 (#121607 - in reply to #121567)
Subject: Re: RTK...Line of sight?

South Georgia
I've got an old college friend in Dooly county with a Trimble system, but he can't tell me anything of the logistics of it, just that he can drive it, and it works good. He doesn't have his own base station to have to move around, but I have no idea where his correction signal comes from.

DG, the cell-phone transmission seems like a good idea, but I don't understand it. Where is the correction signal originating? At your own base station, or somebody else's? How much does the extra phone cost a month, and what happens if your call is dropped? Can you keep running for a little while? Will it automatically reconnect, or do you have to stop what you're doing and keep trying till you reconnect?

I'd be very interested if I could buy a system and use it on everything all year, but if it's just one more logistical problem, which makes it impractical for lower-value uses like spraying and laying-by, and it sits in a box in the office most of the year, then that greatly reduces it's usefulness.

Just an observation: If it's purpose was entertainment, the companies selling them would probably make them easier and more reliable to use.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)