AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tracfone Class Action Suit????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/6/2007 07:44 (#115421)
Subject: Tracfone Class Action Suit????

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have used a Tracfone cell phone for several years and have been happy with the price/service.

This is one of those prepay plans where the phone keeps track of your remaining "talk units" and calendar time. I renew once a year. I get a magic number from Tracfone under one of several plans. When I enter in this number, the calendar time and "talk units" are increased.

This prepay plan works well for me since I only use the cell phone for about 30 calls a year.

Just this morning, I got email (looks official enough) concerning a class action suit brought on by someone regarding a change in how Tracfone handles the units in a "Roaming" situation.

This reminded me of an article that I read in a Minneapolis Newspaper last week indicating changes in AT &T's prepaid calling cards. The gist of that story was that under certain circumstances a call made from one area of the Twin Cities to another used up more "units" than an International call.

The argument about the legality of this had something to do with charges related to supporting rural telephone systems.

Anyone have any more info? I'm unsure if the email today is legit. I'm curious as to how it slipped through the filtering system. I have pasted the Email below:

COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
BOONE COUNTY CIRCUIT COURT
DIVISION I

JEANETTE WAGNER, individually and on behalf of all persons similarly situated,
Plaintiff,

vs.

TRACFONE WIRELESS, INC.,
Defendant.

Case No.: 06-CI-304
Judge Frohlich

SUMMARY NOTICE OF PENDENCY OF CLASS ACTION, PROPOSED SETTLEMENT AND
SETTLEMENT HEARING

TO: ALL NON-GSM CURRENT AND FORMER CUSTOMERS OF TRACFONE WIRELESS,
INC.("TRACFONE")
WHO PURCHASED PRE-PAID SERVICE FROM TRACFONE BETWEEN FEBRUARY 21, 2001 AND
JUNE 13, 2006,
EXCLUDING OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AND EMPLOYEES OF TRACFONE AND MEMBERS OF
THEIR IMMEDIATE
FAMILIES (THE "SETTLEMENT CLASS").

YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED, pursuant to Rule 23 of the Kentucky Rules of Civil Procedure and
an Order of the Court, that the above-captioned action has been preliminarily certified for
settlement purposes as a class action and that a settlement has been proposed. The proposed
settlement provides that Class Members who complete and return a Proof of Claim will
receive additional units of airtime on the TracFone pre-paid service that can be used when
a Settlement Class member adds an airtime card to a TracFone handset, and also provides
that TracFone will revise its Terms and Conditions of Service and disclosures regarding
roaming. A hearing will be held before the Honorable Anthony W. Frohlich in the Boone
County, Kentucky Justice Center, 6025 Rogers Lane, Burlington, Ky. 41005, at 9:00 a.m.,
on Friday, April 27, 2007 to determine whether the proposed settlement should be approved
by the Court as fair, reasonable, and adequate, and to consider the application of Plaintiff_s
Counsel for attorneys_ fees and reimbursement of expenses. IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE CLASS
DESCRIBED ABOVE, YOUR RIGHTS WILL BE AFFECTED AND YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO
SHARE IN THE SETTLEMENT.
If you have not yet received the full printed Notice of Proposed Class Action Settlement, Fairness
Hearing, and Right to Appear, you may obtain copies of this and other relevant documents by
contacting the Claims Administrator:

Wagner Settlement Administrator
PO Box 3560
Portland, OR 97208-3560

http://www.wagnercase.com/ConfirmationEmail.aspx?email=tedbear@mean...

Inquiries, other than requests for the forms of Notice and Proof of Claim, may be made to
Plaintiff_s Co-Lead Counsel:

Richard S. Wayne, Esq.
STRAUSS & TROY, LPA
The Federal Reserve Building
150 East Fourth Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-4018

Jeffrey P. Harris
STATMAN, HARRIS & EYRICH, LLC
441 Vine Street
Suite 3700
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202

To participate in the Settlement, you must submit a Proof of Claim no later than June 28, 2007.
If you are a Settlement Class member and do not exclude yourself from the Settlement Class,
you will be bound by the Final Judgment and Order of the Court. Excluded from the Settlement
Class are officers, directors, and employees of TracFone and members of their immediate families.
To exclude yourself from the Settlement Class, you must submit a request for exclusion postmarked
no later than April 16, 2007. Any objections to the Settlement must be filed by April 16, 2007.
If you are a Settlement Class member and do not submit a proper Proof of Claim, you will not
share in the Settlement but you nevertheless will be bound by the Final Judgment and Order of
the Court.

Further information may be obtained by contacting the Claims Administrator.

Dated: February 28, 2007
By Order of The Court

Judge Frohlich
//s

This e-mail is being sent to potential Class Members as required by the Settlement Agreement. This
is not a recurring email. Recipients can unsubscribe by emailing to request to:
[email protected]. Do not forward inquiries to this email address.

Edited by tedbear 3/6/2007 07:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)