AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shipping beef
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 5/19/2010 10:09 (#1205632 - in reply to #1205467)
Subject: Let me rephrase that.....

I sell the steer to the guy in Boston and get paid by the pound on a "on the hoof" basis. I deliver the steer to the local locker plant at the appointed time. I'm done with it at that point. He deals with the locker plant and pays for his own processing and shipment from there on.

Whether the meat processing guys charge him extra to deliver the finished product to the airport or not, I honestly don't know. It's 30 miles from their place to the airport and with the time factor it would seem reasonble for them to charge him some sort of fee because it must take at least a couple hours out of someone's day. My point is that the locker guys are the ones who are physically delivering the beef and dealing in person with the airport. I believe they pack some dry ice along with the beef. I assume the guy in Boston pays the air freight by credit card or if not the locker guys pay the shipping and add it to his bill.

The guy told me one time that the locker guys hit a snag at the airport once when they took it down to ship it so they had to take it back and didn't get the job done that day. That would have been frustrating for everyone, I'm sure. That seems to be ironed out now. I delivered a steer for him in late March and have not heard of any complications in delivery.

I took some of my own beef along once on a 2 day, 1200 mile car trip to Ohio in August. I filled a styrofoam cooler with beef and taped it shut with duct tape. Then put the stryofoam cooler inside of a larger plastic cooler with frozen gel packs all around it. Then duct taped the lid shut on the plastic cooler. I sat it in the front passenger seat of the car with the AC blowing on it. 36 hours later I arrived at my destination. The gel packs had started to thaw but were still cold. The beef inside was still frozen solid.

Edited by John SD 5/19/2010 10:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)