AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GPS and radar problems on 4-27
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/29/2006 08:17 (#8597 - in reply to #8586)
Subject: RE: GPS and radar problems on 4-27

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I was using both my radar and GPS (Trimble 332 with Omnistar) on 4-27 and didn't notice any problems with either.

I did have some problems however. This was my first time out for real with my Trimble Autopilot. It had just been recently installed and run on a bare field for practice and testing - everything seemed fine.

I then inserted a 90 degree and a 45 degree adapter in the pressure and return line to the Trimble valve so that the hoses would better fit their locations. I was careful in working with these hoses, but apparently I introduced some debris or possibly just air into the lines. I didn't do anymore testing with the unit after I installed the adapters.

I felt that conditions were right to start planting. As I drove to the first field (6 miles from home), I thought that the tractor was "wandering" a bit on the gravel road. When I got to the field, I activated SCV III which runs the vacuum pump and adjusted the vacuum level.

I started planting the first end which borders a large drainage ditch. I thought that I was having difficulty driving where I wanted. On the return pass, it seemed like I had to steer with both hands. When I stopped to think things over, I noticed that the front wheels would start to move by themselves.

Autopilot had not been engaged, but just to make sure, I disconnected the wiring harness leading to the Trimble valve. Once again the wheels would start moving by themselves. This problem was worse when SCV III was engaged.

Out of desperation, I called my CoWorker who had done the installation. We tried some things and then decided to remove the valve. We needed four flat faced "plugs" for the hyd. lines when we removed the valve. Since we didn't have any, he sacrificed four tees by welding two of the ports shut on each tee.

Once the valve was removed, the tractor steering returned to normal. He is now of the opinion that I introduced some debris (I'm thinking maybe air) and that if we would have used the laptop to cyle the steering via the Trimble valve or simply "let it go in Auotpilot" that the debris might have cleared on its own.

We will be reinstalling the valve this weekend since it is raining here. Hopefully things will behave themselves this time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)