AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting started
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rodrod5
Posted 5/12/2010 21:07 (#1196743 - in reply to #1195937)
Subject: RE: Getting started

Lubbock, Texas
if you live in an area with a lot of Mexicans especially go with goats

why....several reasons

1. you can sell them direct to market once you learn what Mexicans want and where the Mexicans are.....once you find that out they will be finding you

2. goats are easier to deal with....just have good fences to start

3. goats are the last meat that does not have vertical integration....this is both good and bad....good because you can still have some control of your market and maybe capture those dollars.......bad because you have a harder time cracking larger markets.......good because with proper planning you could ride the wave or maybe even participate in the profits of vertical integration......bad because you could miss out on all that.....also good because there is less "judging and grading" of your product taking dollars from you especially if direct to consumer

4. goats are smaller and easier for end users (Mexicans) to deal with both buying, moving, butchering, and cooking.....they can polish off a goat with one small party or event...I am being serious about this not to stereo type...I live about as "in town" as you can get in a city of 200,000 people.....a few months back at my neighborhood meeting some of the local "progressive" types were complaining about some people butchering 2 goats in the back yard and hanging them on the cyclone fence to further process.....I had to remind them that the father of the worthless goat herders son that is sadly our president right now would have done the same thing if living in our neighborhood and they should respect "dibirfity" and other cultures like they always blabber about....or is that just for other peoples neighborhoods........they were dumbfounded......because they are stupid

so go with goats.....less disease pressures, easier birthing and care, eat less, easier to push around, NEED BETTER FENCES, easier to market direct to consumer, upside of possible vertical integration opening up new markets, large growing market that is presently being mostly ignored by the big boys I guess they are waiting for someone else to put it all together, fail, and they can buy the pieces

I think someone could do well raising goats and then having a clean tiled and stainless building where some of the "consumers" could process themselves and then leave with the carcass....for an additional fee of course....not sure what the USDA would say if you were only renting a room and the person that already owned the animal was doing it themselves?

Edited by rodrod5 5/12/2010 21:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)