AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First Rotation of the Year and 3rd Year interseeded clover (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/11/2010 11:03 (#1194187 - in reply to #1193767)
Subject: RE: First Rotation of the Year and 3rd Year interseeded clover (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Thank you for the replies.

I am estimating this as about 80 Cow-Day/acre grass. I'm a bit rusty on my estimating but will see how this first rotation comes out. It might be closer to 100 CD grass this first time around. I am trying to give them enough grass to hold to Saturday, no more, no less.

Rob, I have not had any bloating on this clover so far but want to keep it that way. Having the grass in the mix may be an important part of that. So like you I have been waiting for the grass to catch up. If clover gets too mature the stems get thick and they leave them.

Chad, this is a very different sort of cattle raising than the traditional dryland western ranch methods. 

Here is a picture of some of the stragglers coming up the hill from the waterer. The cows are used to this system. The yearling heifers seem a bit slow to recall and the calves just follow Mom, most of the time. As they are often within arm's length this type system takes (or maybe partially makes) calm cattle.

Jim at Dawn

(IMG_0566_coming up the lane to 1st rotation pasture 051010_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0566_coming up the lane to 1st rotation pasture 051010_1.jpg (72KB - 50 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)