AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how much water do i need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 5/10/2010 11:06 (#1192723 - in reply to #1192480)
Subject: Re: how much water do i need?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Ben is right. Doesn't sound like it is worth it too me if you have to haul water. Either get a big water tanker/truck, or lay some pipe/ hose out there. We once used almost a 1/4 mile of some garden hose to get to a field we were fall grazing. It was old irrigation hose (free) and you didn't have much pressure, but it ran all the time and kept an 800 gal trough full. I'd think some 1" or so poly hose would work well, if you have to cross a driveway just put it inside a piece of old steel water pipe, then bury it a few inches deep.

I always thought you shouldn't make cows walk over a 1/4 mile to water... and I'm sure there are reasons why. But good range cows will walk many times that. Probably lose some weight, but they are capable.

Only other thing I'd consider is a bigger tanker. Saw a 6-7000 gal water truck with a bad motor sell for $400 a while back. Guy has already welded a towbar on the front and is using it to haul water out on some hillside ground. Think he has to fill every fourth day or so.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)