AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Putting embroys in cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Phil A.
Posted 3/27/2010 08:25 (#1138583)
Subject: Putting embroys in cows

Western Ohio
From my profile you will see I do not post much. I do have a question I could use some help with today. I have mostly Commercial Angus cows we breed to Charolais bulls calving Mar. 1 to Apr. 30 and then calve a few again from Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 reason I set it up this way is calving window is very important to me I do not like calves stretched till forever.
Anyway I was contacted if I would lease some cows to carry embroy's for a purebred herd I know fairly well. I am pretty much open to anything but like to do home work first. Here are my questions.

How much does one charge for the service?
When are the various payments due?
What do you factor in for loosing a cycle and my cows calving later than normal?
Who stands what death loss?
How much screwing around am I looking at to set these cows up to have eggs incerted? (Big deal I haul to grass and come get them in the fall) I assume I will be pushed back from normal.
Who pays for what medicine/drugs?

Today I figure a cow producing a 550 calf going to the feedlot in the fall is my base cost so this year according to everyone here that is going to be a minimum of a $600+ value.

I understand the pressure of delivering live calves and the concern of deal with freaks and geeks due to the fact I do not know exactlly the outcome of these matings.

Bottom line I have to avoid the wreck and want to make sure I am paid enough for taking the risk and covering my extra time involved to get this all done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)