AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OK Let me have it if you disagree....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

PatrickM
Posted 2/13/2010 14:17 (#1072980 - in reply to #1072929)
Subject: I agree but...

even if we could get battery or fuel cell tech. to the point where all small vehicles, I don't know, say 11000# or less GVW, were run on electric from a nuke source, the reduction in fossil fuels would be tremendous. Then just leave large equipment and diesel alone. I don't even think all this emission control stuff would even be a real issue anymore. I don't know how many nuclear power plants it would take to run all those cars and supply our other electrical needs, but it would be staggeringly expensive, if not cost prohibitive. Until oil prices get much, much higher and stay there, we're going to be sucking on OPEC's teat long into the foreseeable future, at least what remains of my lifetime. Fusion would be the ultimate, but again, we are at least 50 years away from even one sustainable and profitable fusion reactor. And in this current economic climate, I would say the ball is kicked even further down the road. Pure science is the first thing to get cut when times are tough. The cutting off of funding for the Superconducting Supercollider (thanks, Slick Willie) is a another example of our attitudes regarding pure science.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)