AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

School Roof Collapsed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 2/10/2010 16:28 (#1068294 - in reply to #1068276)
Subject: Re: School Roof Collapsed

southern MN
Here in MN a few roofs came down earlier in the year. We've had some pretty nice winters for us, this year is back to normal, throw in a little rain but mostly cold so it don't melt away, just gets hard & thick & heavy up there. They say time is a factor also, if a deep snow melts off ok, if it stays cold & the weight doesn't go away, things get streched & weaker over time. I suspect the older buidings are holding up, a few new one's lightly built are getting stressed....

Your buildings and your equipment just isn't set up for these situations, we get overwhelmed here too when things go way above average.

It is pretty normal to do a littl shoveling of roofs 'here'. Neighbor was on his hog roof, getting the vents open, a little valley opened up for water to run. Mazing how it shrinks back what a little tin is exposed and the sun can hit it - really eats away at it & makes things better.

Roof rake on a lower roof, take the bottom 3-4 feet off, and it makes a _world_ of difference. Hard to believe.

That horse roof you posted, about 3 hours with a shovel & it would be fine. Get the deeper drift where it meets the other building, and 2 narrow channels from top to bottom, and the stress is relieved.

If you have many barns or they are huge - yea you won't catch up.

Not knocking your efforts or saying you aren't trying.

But there is a middle, not BS, on taking care of your buildings.

I got the letter from my insurance co a week ago, they insure me, but would be really, really good if I safely tried to take some snow off the bad spots - it's a generic letter.

Already did that, I have a very old, uninsured shed where I took about 2/3 of the snow off. It's only 45x 30 on that long low side, so not trying to brag on how hard I worked. And it sure is tough to get the snow off to an eadge, I agree! The rest of my buildings dad built with a very steep slope, which this year isn't shedding the pasty snow, but the steepness is just a lot stronger build, and dad tended to overbuild which is a good thing.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)