AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meanies on the Bi-Level
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

amsunshine
Posted 1/27/2010 23:35 (#1045203)
Subject: Meanies on the Bi-Level

Blooming where I am planted!

Well, I had a blissful train ride today downtown for my interview.  On the train there's a publication called "On the Bi-Level", which is extremely entertaining to me (full publication here (http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/documents/Bi_Level/OTBLJan2010w..pdf).  By the way, it's called "On the Bi-Level" because all the Metra trains have an upper level (which is good if you want to sit off by yourself).  I was appalled to read these two commentaries about a pregnant woman rider.  What do you think?

SOUND OFF
“...the snarky, snotty observations by Metra’s customers about fellow commuters ... offer some of the best free entertainment around.” - SouthtownStar, March 13, 2009

No sympathy here

A big BOO HOO to Princess Kate, the pregnant passenger who was very upset that no one offered their seat to her. My my, since when was pregnancy such an enormous disability issue?  You seemed to be able to muster the strength to walk two full car lengths to take note of the seating situation; and you sound a little irate that nobody literally jumped up to rescue you by offering theirseat.  Sorry, toots, this was a situation you chose to be in ... there are people out there who can’t have kids, such as me, and I’m NOT going to give you my seat.  Tough out the discomfort for nine months. Some people will never experience it.  
Liz

This is for Kate and all other pregnant women who whine about not being offered seats on public transportation. They somehow feel they are more entitled to a seat that anyone else, and every seated passenger should feel guilty for not jumping up and falling all over each other giving up their seat.
Yes, if would be courteous if someone offered their seat, but it’s certainly not mandatory. How are we supposed to know you are pregnant and don’t just have a large stomach? Perhaps you should either walk through the car with a sign, make an announcement when you enter a car or simply walk up to someone
and tell them to get up. Also, the handicapped seats are designated for “customers with disabilities.”
As far as I know, being pregnant is NOT a disability or a handicap. It’s also very possible the seated passengers might have a disability that is not obvious. If the roles were reversed and you saw a woman you thought was pregnant, how likely would you be to offer a seat?
Adrienne

Editor’s Note:

We got a few letters in response to Kate. All of them were from women. All of them were entirely unsympathetic to her plight. But we don’t think Kate was wrong to expect a little courtesy. We all should expect it, and give it, too.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)