AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Computer file ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

95h
Posted 1/27/2010 13:29 (#1044119 - in reply to #1043779)
Subject: RE: Ok... that is self explainatory...Long but helpful information for you or someone ??

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

This may be long, but it is super simple.  IN PERSON, I could show you this in about 10 minutes so you would understand, with words,, it takes longer..   

A computer has a filing system where it stores krap (data) and I assure you it is nothing like you or I would store data.  The huge percentage of Computer "users" just hit "save" and mystically the computer saves the data. People then depend on the computer to find that data because the person opens a  program and depends on the program to find the data file.  If the file gets corrupted or some other little quirk. The person is lost they have no clue where the actual file is other than "in the computer"

If you want to always be able to find a file yourself you have to set up a logical tree that you understand and can yourself find a file. It is really very simple.  Look at my example, Of what I've posted.  My Documents. Inside that folder I have 2nd series of folders, 2002 work year, 2002 reunion, (shows a + sign,, means there are sub folders in there) 2003 work year (which I expanded to show sub folders) 2004 work year (which is also expanded)

etc .ect.ect..   Ok ??   Personally I never open a program then depend on the computer to put up a list of "last used files"  I don't have to I know exactly where every file is because I use MY filing system not the computer just putting files where it wants to. 

In the example posted,, I can open "folders" at the top of the screen and see exactly which file or sub file I want and open it.  I try to keep the "file tree" down to 3-4 sub folders but some files are farther down in sub folders, but it is NOT a problem because I know exactly where to find the folder I need, and any folder anywhere in the computer.

Look at the 2nd picture example.  I can tell it's a file on the desk top and I can find the file named "equipment repairs" (an excel file) inside the file named 2009. 2 clicks and I can open/copy/or export import that file anywhere I want to.

Lot handier than  " it's in the computer somewhere but I can't find it,.."  huh?  Never simply hit "save"  or the little icon when working with any data the first time.  ALWAYS hit "SAVE AS"  then set up your filing system so you can actually find the exact file (data) you need at any future point in time. (After you have saved the data in a file you have named in a subfile you have also named. You will always be able to find that file (data) at any time in the future.)  Then you can simply hit "save" as YOU have TOLD the computer exactly where You want the data saved to.  Also pay attention to the information box,, You can also tell the computer which format you want to save the data as.

See example #3   I have a program running called "book 1"   I have not saved the file, nor have i specificied how the file is to be saved. In the drop down menu I have 6-9 options.. I can save that file as a "template" (for example) and name the file "rake repair "  then hit save. At that point I have made a template named "rake repair" and it is a template I can open use and then save as "rake repair 2008" or "rake repair 2007" or "rake repair 2006" and switch the file to "workbook" instead of "template". The "Template" will always be found in the sub-file named "rental houses" and never change when I close it. But,, the Files I saved as workbooks and named,, they will be saved wherever I tell the computer to save them to.

Ok,,, Got all that ??   

Now,,,

If you have a physical file folder you put all of 2009's farm activities in it and put it into a file cabinet, you know exactly where that file is. correct?  Well computers are not so careful about filing data from a file. By a computer's very nature, when it stores data it simply starts filling the hard drive with data whereever there is room in a sector. So a single set of data can be spread across several sectors in the disk. Ever open a program and have it take "forever" to open a document?  That's because the program is waiting for all the data to be collected and brought from the library out to ram.. that data can be spread across the entire harddrive. The only place your "data" will not be stored is in your actual program files like (for example)  Excel. Those files are "sealed" (for lack of a better word) but program files aside your data could be anywhere.    Ok so far ????

Now as you open files and info is dragged out into ram, or files are deleted or saved or you open and close web pages, (NAT for example) all that data is put onto the physical hard drive, and as files get deleted the computer leaves a "hole" in the sector where that information was deleted from. That process in constantly going on as you use your computer.  Now, remember,, you are also hitting "save as" and saving files at the same time. When you are saving data,, the computer is simply filling sectors that are now "EMPTY" (because you deleted a previous file and left holes..) with data till that 1 hole is full then looks for the next empty "hole" then fills it and moves on.

When this process is repeted enough times,, your data you are saving is spread across the entire hard drive.  WHich makes files slow to open over time or you run into the possibility of a corupted file which the computer can not open. SO...

You HAVE TO DEFRAG the computer (which should be done once a week or so) to clean up the computer, and put all the same/like data in the same location.  See Example 4,,

Go to Start, programs, accessories, system tools, and choose "DISK CLEANUP". This program will clean out all the files you have previously deleted, and open all the "holes" in the hard drive. Then same procedure same place choose  "DEFRAG"!  IF you have NOT defraged in a long time or simply never have this will take time. What the computer is doing is taking all the data named (for example)  2008 and putting it into the same or adjoining sectors of the hard drive. Instead of spreading the data across the entire computer.

THE NET RESULT is all the programs will open faster- you will speed up your computer considerably depending on how long it has been since the computer was last "cleaned up and defraged".

As I said, very basic easy to do stuff with a computer which many people have no idea about. 

Last thought for you,, notice I named the last 2 files (pictures) exactly the same thing??  Normally that can not be done. However,, I changed the properties of the very last file and told photoshop to save the file as a "BMP" bit map and not a "JPG" J-peg file. So same named file but different file properties, so the computer will know there's a difference even thou I named the files exactly the same.  This same concept will work across the entire platform (computer). 

Sorry it's long,, in person,, this can be learned in less than 30 minutes.

Edited by 95h 1/27/2010 13:46

(screen shot.jpg)

(Screen shot 2.jpg)

(Screenshot 3.jpg)

(screen shot 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments screen shot.jpg (90KB - 40 downloads)
Attachments Screen shot 2.jpg (23KB - 36 downloads)
Attachments Screenshot 3.jpg (46KB - 37 downloads)
Attachments screen shot 3.jpg (56KB - 42 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)