AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sales Tax - Business or Personal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

PPo
Posted 1/21/2010 12:20 (#1033942 - in reply to #1033826)
Subject: Re: Sales Tax - Business or Personal

Most of the people who have gotten off of ebay either have done so because they don't like the fees, don't like paypal, or because they weren't interested in being an honest seller to begin with.

Ebay has gone to siding with the buyer in cases where it's not certain the seller is right, because too many sellers got on there, took pictures that didn't show problems or misrepresented things, took buyers' money and then stopped answering emails and picking up the phone.

As far as sales tax go, it probably differs some by state. My parents sell stuff they make, and they have a tax # in PA. It is expected that you will collect sales taxes at the shows they go to, and from time to time, a state undercover revenue person will go around pretending to buy things just to check if they're being charged sales tax. If they're not, big fine. People who don't want to pay sales tax constantly give my parents garbage about having to pay sales tax for an item at a show, but they usually pipe down when you tell them that tax inspectors check booths and you don't really have a choice.

If you intend to be honest and at worst have to give money back and get your item back, I would use ebay and craigslist. It's easier, and you'll reach a much larger buying market. If you want to use CL and you want to make sure you don't get a bad check, then make people pay in either cash or postal money orders. Any funny business on postal money orders as a buyer OR a seller, and you're in deep sheiss. They're nice to use, and they're cheap for a buyer to use. Only way a buyer can claim they can't get one is if they've never seen a post office or if they don't have money (and that second group, you're looking to avoid in the first place).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)