AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got your corn in?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/17/2010 09:27 (#1026457 - in reply to #1025779)
Subject: RE: Got your corn in?

Chebanse, IL.....

IJ

We plant corn & beans (now). Though, in the past we have planted corn & drilled beans.

When we've completed the task on all the acres we say "we're done planting (or drilling)".

To remove the standing soybean crop, we call it "combining beans".

When we remove corn from the field, we now say "combining corn". 40 yrs ago, we used to say we "picked corn". That was a task leaving the kernels on the cob & putting the product in a corn crib. Then, we would take another machine & "shell corn", either from the crib or in the field. Later, in some cases, that "sheller" was added as an attachment to the corn picker. However, later than that, the same combine that harvested oats-wheat-beans was able to also harvest corn. So, we "combined" corn, just like beans-oats-wheat.

Back when we used to cultivate corn, we called it "cultivating corn" (or beans). I know that folks down in more southernly areas called it "plowing corn". But actually, when we plowed corn out, it was a very-very bad thing. It meant you got off the row w/the cultivator & caused immense crop damage!

Personally, I think our terms up here are more job-machine descriptive. I could be narrow-sighted however.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)