AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tedbear - EZ Boom = Poor man's seed command?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/4/2007 08:55 (#99060 - in reply to #98589)
Subject: Re: Tedbear - EZ Boom = Poor man's seed command?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Tom-thanks for the info. Since I have no field experience (other than at Yankton) with EZ-Boom, I was not aware that the booms are shutoff with zero ground speed. This would cause a gap in planting if the planter was forced to stop mid field (breakdown, rock etc.).

I am starting to hear rumblings that the Tru-count air clutches are much preferred over their former shaft clutches. I realize that in some cases, the air clutches per row is really the only choice anyway.

The rumblings that I am hearing seem to imply that the electrical clutches which were OEM on some planters may not stand up to the more frequent use as might be seen with an automated system such as Seed Command either through the Insight or EZ-Boom. I don't know if this is truly the case or someone's speculation.

The reason I ask is that we have several customers who might want to explore the idea of Seed Command with their current clutch system. These are customers who already have an Insight, a planter with a manual switch box and much of the other cabling. For these customers, the cost of going to automated row shutoff might not involve that much "new" equipment. These are often situations where the customer is not sure if the seed savings would justify a major outlay for the individual row clutches.

You also mention that you added an Implement switch. I'm curious as to how this was handled as it appears that the EZ-Boom box has no provisions for an external Master as is possible with an Insight and and the Auxilary Input module. It was my understanding that the switches on the EZ-Boom box were dedicated to their respective functions or has this been changed?

Edited by tedbear 2/4/2007 09:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)