AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Its chilly here too... .Pics. .not dialup friendly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ham
Posted 1/10/2010 08:49 (#1014309 - in reply to #1014273)
Subject: Permit..? No, but........

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust
Because of the enormous fire risk in certain weather conditions , there is a Harvest Code of Practice that gives an index which tells me if it is considered reasonably safe to be harvesting. This is based on Temp, wind speed and Relative Humidity, and in my personal opinion is way too lax.
Is it illegal to be harvesting outside that index..? No That is not my understanding, at least currently, but if a major fire was to be started under those circumstances, you can bet theer'd be no liability insurance cover.
That's as it is in South Australia. I know Western Australia is different and I understand their system is that you are not allowed to carry out any harvesting operations ( which includes loading trucks, shifting machines, or bins ) on a Total Fire Ban day. I think i favour this system over what we currently have , despite my hatred for being todl what to do by any "authority". It is so hard to prove one way or another after the event, and the damage could easily run into $ millions.
Hopefully the WA guys and also from other states will fill you in on how it is for them, since my knowledge of that isnt great.

It is my experience that most midwest Americans really are unable to comprehend the fire risk and problems we have in our environment, and cant imagine why we are required by law to have a water extinguisher and shovel for firefighting purposes on every machine that is in the field at harvest time, as well as a dedicated firefighting appliance, meaning a mobile water tank and pressure pump in the vicinit, ) and why an engine ( say an auger ) requires all flammable material including vegetation to be cleared around it, and may not be left running unattended.

The short answer to your question is that I know of no Permits that can be given, and certainly there are legislative restraints and for VERY VERY good reason.
But as has been proven to me time and time again..i dont know everything..

Edited by Ham 1/11/2010 01:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)