AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight Configuration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/13/2007 08:02 (#87457 - in reply to #87404)
Subject: Re: Insight Configuration

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I'll need to investigate some of the suggestions given here.

Perhaps others can learn from my mistake of last year. I personally have one Insight that is used in a variety of situations throughout the year.

There are a few times when I need two Insights such as finishing up planting Soybeans with the 8120 and Spraying Corn with the 7700. Since I work for a dealer, I can borrow a second Insight for a couple of days from the store.

It is desirable that the Grower, Configurations etc. be transferred to the second Insight for those few days. I "backed up" my personal Insight to the CF card and then restored the Store Insight with that card. At that point in time, both Insights contained identical information. My Insight was moved to the sprayer (I needed the Autoswath Unlock which the store Insight didn't have) and the Store Insight was installed in the planter tractor. The spraying and planting operations were performed. This seemed workable at the time.

A problem came about when I read the files into SMS. I got a duplication of operations in many cases. Apparently this is due to the fact that the fields that were orginally planted with my Insight have been duplicated on the Store Insight. When I read the files for the late Soybean planting from the Store Insight, those fields are fine but the summary contains the fields, totals etc. from my personal Insight also. The result is that the corn fields (actually planted with my Insight) have duplicate regions. One is bold (contains the GPS info) and the other is dull (from the other Insight). This means that the Summary in SMS often is double the true valve for acres, gallons etc.

I can go through the management tree and delete those duplications (dull entries) to clean things up but it is time consuming.

This year I will again be in this same situation. My plan this year is to back up my personal Insight (containing my updated field list, configurations etc.) before I actually do any operations. At this point in time, the summary for 2007 will be essentially empty. I will then proceed using my personal Insight for the various operations. If and when I need to borrow a second Insight, I will restore it with the back up file saved earlier. My Insight will contain all the operations it has performed and the borrowed Insight will contain the fields and configurations but not the operations performed by the first Insight. Any new operations will be added to the respective Insight. I hoping that this will help avoid the duplication issue.

The downside to this plan is that my personal Insight will not contain all the operations that have been done on the farm. For example at harvest time, the fields planted with the other Insight cannot be used as a reference. Since the planting information is the most important to me at harvest time, I will probably try to borrow an Insight with Autoswath unlocked so that my personal Insight can remain in the planter tractor. At harvest time I will not have any reference maps for the spraying done with the borrowed Insight but I would have the planting reference maps.

I don't know if Ag Leader has a procedure to address situations where two Insights are used for planting and two Insights are used for harvest. By this I mean a process where the results of both planting Insights can be melded together and put back into both Insights so that the reference maps are available in both combines.

I welcome any suggestions on these types of situations.

Edited by tedbear 1/13/2007 08:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)