AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sewer pipe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dondozer
Posted 4/22/2024 08:46 (#10715521 - in reply to #10714978)
Subject: RE: Sewer pipe

NW Ohio,near Findlay
Follow along here, cast iron sewer and sewer tile are totally different as to lining them. Most of the time cast iron pipe, the sewage will stick to the walls of the pipe and gradual grow shut, plugged. In our area in the past, septic tank installation, they used a stick of cast iron pipe at the tank to "bridge" the oversize hole to get tank in ground. At the time sewer tile, mostly bell type, longest were 4 foot. So at tank they used the longer cast iron sticks. At the inlet it didn't plug, water moved faster, but the outlet, the water would tend to lay and slowly plugged and eventually may even rust out. I assume this is what your plumber is referring too.
I assume he has run a roto rooter thru it? Our has he run a camera thru it? Advise.
At the business where I worked, there was a older subdivision in town that was built post WW 2, slab houses, all the sewer were laid in the stone base to grade, floor poured over it. The 4 inch cast iron outlet came thru the footer to the bathroom, next to the outside wall. Then they plumbed the tub, sink, vent, and to the center of the house for laundry room in 2 inch cast.
All this cast either rotted out or plugged, was a plumbers nightmare. First thing was chemical drain cleaner, then roto rooters, and then cut the floor. Big problem was IF your pipe is rotted out, the cutter will go thru the pipe, into the stone, thinking you unplugged it, and totally fill you stone with sewage under your floor. These houses I was referring to, also had the heating system ducts in the floor. This was terrible, the downdraft furnace was in the center of the house in laundry room. Air intake was at top of furnace, heated air was forced down thru the duct work in floor which was nothing more than 6 inch field tile laid to the outside walls in each room. WHEN the sewer pipe rusted out or WHEN plumber run cutter thru pipe, it opened up the cast iron under floor and dumped at the sewer under floor and into the nice clean gravel stone, filled heating duct pipe with water. We ripped out may floors in these houses, they were a total disaster.
Be so careful running a roto cleaner under floor, you may think you have solved your problem, but might make it worse. I assume your plumber knows the problems doing this, he doesn't want to risk this.
Don't know your total situations, how long of section under floor, interior walls, thickest of concrete, other footer under floor, what kind of connection thru the footer to the outside, all this matters. Cutting floor is last resort, but possible. First camera it, see what you have. How many other things are connected to it under floor, sinks, other bathrooms, VENTS can be a game changer, never know what they did in the day.
If your plumber thinks it's possible, go the the outside and dig the outlet up. Make the mess outside. I will include a link of a local plumber that does this kind of work, pulling a cable thru the existing pipe and pulling new pipe with it. I did one job with him, he pulled new waterline in, worked wonderful. He has many videos, gives you some options. Good luck, let us know what happens. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPdnQBqWrtVDemOsWX3dshQ/featured

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)