AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

12 volt combine grain bin level switch indicator, to operate small LED "marker light"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/18/2024 05:20 (#10710945 - in reply to #10710740)
Subject: RE: 12 volt combine grain bin level switch indicator, to operate small LED "marker light"

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Due to the way our drying system "evolved" over the years we have two wet holding bins. It is desirable to know the level of each wet bin. I installed 5 of those Deere combine bin level switches progressively inside each wet holding bin. They are powered by a 110VAC to 12VDC power supply. I made a bar graph indicator that mounts on the outside of each holding bin. This bar graph is made up of LED truck clearance lights. I like the combination of 12VDC, clearance lights which are designed to be out in the weather and bin level switches. We used plastic conduit with short Tee stubs inside the bin to protect the wires. The conduit is held to the inside of the wet bins with regular conduit clamps etc. Power if fed down the conduit and leads to each switch. Each switch has a separate wire that leads up the conduit so 6 wires are involved. The six wires lead to the outside displays and to the corresponding clearance lights.

I also made a miniature display that is attached by the dryer controls in the dryer shack.

This means the level of each wet holding bin can be observed by looking at the large outdoor displays or the small indoor display. We have a camera pointed at the dryer controls that we can view from our phones. The small indoor display is within the viewing area of the camera. This means we can observe the level in each bin anywhere we have internet access.

So yes, a second one could easily be installed in your combine. With some models, Deere even offers a two step alarm system.

I don't know how familiar you are with LEDs but the are Polarity Sensitive meaning they must be installed the correct direction and they need a current limiting resistor. If you purchase one that indicates it is for 12VDC it will have the current limiting resistor built in. A bare "loose" Red LED can only tolerate about 2 volts so a current limiting resistor is needed.

I got one from an auto parts store and connected it to the motor on my Ag Leader moisture sensor assembly in my combine. That way I can observe how often the motor and small auger in the moisture chamber is running.

A mirror mounted to point at the window in the combine bin extension is also very handy. I purchased a cheap outside mirror for a car at an auto parts store and used hose clamps to attach it to the pipe railing on the right side on my combine cab. Once installed, I had my agile young assistant adjust the mirror while I directed him with hand signals while sitting in the seat. This is very handy and allows one to consider an "escape plan" before the hopper runs over.

Edited by tedbear 4/18/2024 05:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)