AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1775NT Vacuum meter help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/15/2024 06:56 (#10707240 - in reply to #10707189)
Subject: RE: 1775NT Vacuum meter help

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I believe the correct terms is inches of water. It is not Pounds Per Square Inch although many will pronounce it that way.

As others have stated, the Vac readings must be observed and adjusted only after seed is present in all the seed chambers and the seed disks rotated so all cells are filled. Since you have hydraulic drive, there is a way to manually run the meters a bit to insure that all seed cells are filled. You should be able to do this with the planter up out of the ground. After running the meters a bit you should be able to see a few kernels below each row unit. Some systems call this "Prime", some systems have a "Jump Switch".

Our 1770NT is still ground drive. We purchased it used and have used it several years. Our planter is a bit different than some as it has the 1.6 bushel regular boxes and CCS tanks. It is 24 row with 2 Vac fans. The fans are run by the right couplers of SCV 3 and SCV 4.

We planted our first field for this year yesterday. Seed for the field was placed in the CCS tanks. My great nephew lowered the frame and the CCS fan kicked in. We could hear seeds moving from the CCS tanks to the row units. After a while we visually checked that seed had been delivered to each row unit.

He raised the planter UP and engaged SCV 3 & 4. They were still set at the levels of last year since they are not used for anything else other than planting. I think they run at settings around "4" on the Deere 8310R Both fans made their usual sound. He then got out and turned the small ground drive tire by hand several times, eventually a few kernels appeared on the ground below each row unit. The Vac levels agreed with what he expected from last year and he proceeded to plant.

This planter was switched to PP's eSets when we purchased it. They require a higher Vac level. The fans and tractor are able to handle this higher level but we did need to get replacement Vac gauges from Precision. This probably doesn't pertain to you.

I don't know that being able to get decent Vac without seed in the chambers is anything to be worried about, it is just not the proper way to test. I suppose if the Vac tubes were plugged part way out this might allow a higher reading to be shown without seed. The Vac tubes have plugs for the off season that are easily lost. It is possible that the tubes have gotten plugged. We have used a shop vac to suck out debris from the Vac tubes although I don't know how necessary that really was.

If the Vac gauges are showing vastly different Vac levels with both SCVs set the same, I would do some switching around. Swap the connections on the Vac gauges and see if the problem moves to the other side or stays with the same side. Swapping the hydraulic hoses powering the Vac Fans from one side to the other might help decide if the tractors hydraulics are suspect. Swapping the Vac covers with the gauge fittings is yet another test

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)