AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn vs Hay vs Graze
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MountainValleyFarmer
Posted 4/15/2024 08:07 (#10707346 - in reply to #10706408)
Subject: RE: Corn vs Hay vs Graze

I learned early on to be extremely cautious investing any money into rented ground. How long is your lease? If it’s just this year maybe throw the 100 lbs of urea and 100 lbs of potassium at it that another guy suggested at the very most.

Without equipment I think the most money you likely can make off of that ground would be with grazing it. If you can get clovers established and rotationally graze it maybe you could get by without the expense of fertilizer. If you run the numbers I’ll bet you will find out legumes are going to make you money versus buying nitrogen. If you haven’t grazed legumes be sure to educate yourself on that.

What does hay currently cost in your area? Run the numbers. Can you buy hay cheaper than you can make it?

If you aren’t inheriting a good amount of land and equipment you are going to have to get your pencil sharp to make money in ag. The guys on here can give you good advice along the way but ultimately you need to be pushing the numbers to look at the profitability of decisions you make. If you do a reasonable job of pushing the numbers I don’t think you are going to anticipate a profit out of corn on ground like that with the current price of corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)