AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Picking Up Crop Leases - Ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

E.Daehler
Posted 3/30/2024 19:52 (#10687141 - in reply to #10687092)
Subject: RE: Picking Up Crop Leases - Ideas

Higginsville, MO
Go to the local coffee shop, get in with all the old coffee drinkers. You'll find out lots of knowledge, most not usable but can find out if so and so is retiring, needing custom work or whatever else. If those old guys know you're a good person, do a good job and work hard then the land will come. Been spinning my wheels for 3 years since i quit the farm i was working for, work is finally coming and banker is happy, happy, happy! In the 15 years since high school, ive bought 8 tractors, combine, anhydrous, self propelled windrower, rake, planters, disc, grain cart, 2 old ten wheelers, grain drill, and just purchased a seed tender to further ease of handling seed. Basically a full line of equipment to do jobs for myself or any custom work i can get. Ive paid for or am paying for everything my self with very little help from dad. Hes actually stole quite a bit of money from me. Almost 10k in 19 but thats another story.
When i go to a custom job, i do it to the best of my ability, no skips, straight rows without gps, quality work no matter how rough or crappy the field is. People see that and they talk. It might not seem like it but if you're a good honest person you'll eventually gain what you need to survive. There are a lot of big talkers that when it comes down to the nut cutting they only support themselves and whoever is the big wig of the area. Guys are getting tired of crappy half ass work and are looking for people that do good jobs and take care of things. Dont be picky on what you get but dont cut yourself short. I run cheaper rates than others because ive got my costs down to a T and do a better job, but i had a guy last year that was supposed to be a supporter and basically wanted me to do the job for nothing. Ill just say it got heated and was told that he'd make sure i wouldn't ever pick up any extra ground. Needless to say i picked up 1200 acres of custom work this spring and already was asked to do 150 acres this fall. I dont know your age but it takes time if you dont have a big name and daddy and grandpa are farming thousands of acres. Then its easier to get ground, ive watched that first hand.
On equipment, what dealers do you have close? A 100 horse tractor, 6 row no till planter and 6 row combine is a good place to start. Can you fix your own stuff? Big benefit if you can, if not it will be tough if you dont learn. Get ground in lease in your name and be upfront with landlord about what you are going have to do. DO NOT SUB LEASE! Greed hogs will use it against you. Slowly build your equipment after first year. Buy planter, then maybe a combine. I plant with a $600 planter thats had about $1200 in parts put in it. Had corn hit 280 in some spots planted by that thing.

Edited by E.Daehler 3/30/2024 20:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)