AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talk to me about improving hay ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RvrRatFmr
Posted 3/22/2024 11:31 (#10675214)
Subject: Talk to me about improving hay ground

I started my cow/calf operation about 4-5 years ago which is now morphed into taking care of the hay field on the farm and I'm looking into improving the quality and yield of the field (about 35 acres). Started at the beginning with soil samples to which showed the ground severely depleted as expect with conversations with LL. Broadcasted about 1/2 of P & K needs last fall just to get started (co-op even told me to not waste money with single application....). 70 actual units of N went on today. So fertility is in the works and will continue with more samples this fall.

I have not studied the types of grasses but given my location (St. Louis area on IL side) i would assume the majority are fescues. There is also an over abundance of "bluestem" grass in the field. I was thinking of getting a 2nd cutting this fall to keep the bluestem from going to seed and then no-tilling into the seedbed with a mixture this fall. However, reading a post below is bluestem grass bad or good for hay? Will it die out if it doesn't reseed or is it a perennial grass? The bluestem gets rolled up in the summer and the cows never pick through and leave it however, I winter graze them in the hay field and they eat everything but the bluestem. Is it worth fighting it?

Also, if I reseed this fall should I stay with grasses only or should legumes be added? I would also like suggestions on seed mixtures and rates.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)