AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WCMO SFForum
Posted 3/17/2024 16:47 (#10668861 - in reply to #10668547)
Subject: RE: soybeans

West Central Missouri
Have a couple of fields that have been continuous soybeans for maybe 20 years, and have not noted yield reductions. I scout them pretty hard. Try not to plant same #/variety of soybean each year, might want to use a seed treatment (I generally don't, but seed man says I should), vary chemicals and use residual in post-spray plan. I put on around 10-20% more than replacement P & K each spring. 2023 was 1st year I used a fungicide at R3, have needed insecticide treatments most years at about same time, a few times insecticide was needed earlier and applied with herbicide post-spray. These are rented NHEL fields (prior-converted wetlands) in creek bottom that tend to stay wet until late spring, some small pothole areas that stay wet until July and sometimes produce nothing. Have been talking to the landlord about tiling for a few years -- could plant corn there if tiled.

Main thing I've really noticed is that the ground really needs to dry out good in top couple inches sometime after it warms up and before planting, which sometimes requires opening up the ground with vertical tillage or else disk/field cultivate. Hard to describe, but there's a "smell" that is noticeable if the ground really needs to be opened up to dry out, kind of a pond-water smell, and if not dried out before planting a replant is almost assured. Have noticed same smell in corn fields that stay wet too long where the seed rots.

In 2023 I had around 200 total acres that were beans on beans and only had to replant 10-12 acres, just spotting in worst places. Yields were essentially same as my no-till beans on corn stalks. 2023 yields 61-65, 2022 yields 56-63.

Edited by WCMO SFForum 3/17/2024 17:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)