AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exactly what subsidies are people talking about
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Pat H
Posted 3/9/2024 08:15 (#10658339 - in reply to #10658286)
Subject: RE: Exactly what subsidies are people talking about

I never quite understood the goals of the EWG. Eliminate farming because grocery stores are where food comes from?

I raise pigs and we have perimeter tile around every building and I sample that water to make sure the pit isn't leaking the manure. Oddly the same folks think it's the most dangerous thing on earth and also the best fertilizer. Anyway, water isn't "pure". Nitrogen cycles in ground water along with some other elements. I've heard "they" want to tighten standards not realizing that they would be condemning all ground water no matter where it is.

Also, we definitely get unearned subsidies at times. Insurance is nice, but I'm pretty sure the gov't and insurers have billed me more money than I've received. The Trump china dollars were completely undeserved as well. We already had low prices based on our over production and SA production - not a surprise. I was really surprised reading other farmers foaming at the mouth blaming everyone but themselves for their business situation. Of course I'll take the money, but it's not owed. I chose to farm and started from about nothing, but with some kind landlords. I don't think someone else should pay for my choices.

It is true that we've been mostly free of gov't payments for the last few years and I think that is a good thing. It's better to focus on the fundamentals of our business rather than run it to maximize gubamint dollars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)