AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Focusing on work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

oldskool
Posted 3/6/2024 19:33 (#10654628 - in reply to #10652505)
Subject: RE: Focusing on work

This hits it on the head for me. If we have a good year I have projects stacked out the door and the shop lights usually stay on until midnight getting things done. Drought years I’m more inclined to scrimp by with what we have unless it’s a major issue. Case in point: bearings, conveyors and augers get them every 2-3 years before one goes bad, if we have a short crop or are short cash I’ll roll the dice that they will hold through another harvest. Chains are another, if we have a good year I’ll throw new chain at anything; planter, combine, cornhead etc. After growing up in lean times those tendencies come out when I have to borrow the money for maintenance vs using cash on hand.

To the OP, some days I just feel lazy. But 9/10 times if I get into the shop and just start piddling/tidying up a bit I’ll see a small project I want to get done and it snowballs into working on a piece of equipment that needs it. Had an in-law in his 60s tell me the hardest part of overhauling an engine is breaking the first bolt loose. I was young and full of energy back then so I sort of laughed it off. Those words ring true more often with me now. Sometimes the idea of starting a project is worse then the actual work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)