AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking out loud.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

unruhfarms
Posted 3/1/2024 05:00 (#10646280 - in reply to #10646117)
Subject: RE: Thinking out loud.......

East Central Mississippi
white shadow - 2/29/2024 21:28

I have actually had a kind of tough winter. I have lost some good friends this winter and a few others had strokes. All but one younger than me. I really had the desire to retire at 67, but we have expanded to the point my son can't do it all by himself and not enough to justify full time hired man---if you could even find one. Just this last month I have come to the realization and peace of mind, that a family farm or business is a difficult retirement plan if you are committed to family succession. I put more on his plate every month, but until his son is old enough to replace me, I have to be committed to the farm and his family. My dad helped me until 80ish---- wash, rinse and repeat. We still get a lot of weeks to vacation, and we like to play hard and work hard. Also, we have to be honest, and you could argue that we get more weeks' vacation than my city friends with a w-2. However, an eventual, complete walk away from it all retirement isn't probably in the cards. We are currently having a lot of fun farming, so it is all good once you accept the realization you will be your sons hired man someday. LOL Lately I have been thinking a lot about rotisserie chickens and googling how far it is to Vergas. LMAO[/QUOTE

I’m sorry about your losses this winter. It’s not easy to see the reality of life unfold around us some days. I’ve also watched a lot of changes in my neighborhood over the last number of years. I’m also inspired at your dedication to your family and farm, I could soon be in a similar situation. My son is 17 and an awesome farm hand. Best wishes going forward.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)