AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High Sulfates in Sodic irrigation water, irrigating calcareous high pH soil.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jimsonweed
Posted 2/26/2024 14:12 (#10640804)
Subject: High Sulfates in Sodic irrigation water, irrigating calcareous high pH soil.

W Texas
Will sulfates in irrigation water break down any calcium from a calcareous soil?

I know the literature says Calcium Carbonate has low solubility at high pH, but what if your calcium levels are 20,000lbs+/acre? I've seen some literature that basically says calcareous soils have an endless buffer against sodicity of irrigation water, others say the calcium is unavailable.

Reason I am asking is some of my wells have an SAR up to around 11. Very high sulfates, often 300+ppm.

Wondering if I need to add gypsum or just leave it alone. I do used MAP and 28-0-0-5 for fertilizers, which probably only helps a bit.

Salinity tests will average about 4-6 EC and around 15 SAR. pH very high, 8+.

Soils are productive as long as I stick with adapted crops (barley, triticale, cotton, alfalfa). Water infiltration seems fine as long as the soil is covered/shaded. Hot sun and high wind will cause any soil to crust here.

Only time I have seen severe dispersion is when it used to be flood irrigated, which I attribute to excess leaching of salts, leading to a non-saline, sodic soil. Whereas under furrow or pivot it is typically a saline, sodic soil.

All No-Till, FWIW. CECs around 40.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)