AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2025 silage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Big Square
Posted 2/19/2024 00:17 (#10629776 - in reply to #10628317)
Subject: RE: 2025 silage

Eastern Half of Kansas
Jon has it pegged right, planted triticale 12-18’ chopping interferes with some combination of depending on the year corn planting, soybean planting, grass turnout, 1st cutting alfalfa or mudding out the triticale crop that’s over the crest of feed quality. Sorghum silage is cheap to raise, falls in to chop during bean harvest, after frost you have window to chop before loosing too much moisture, lost a week in 22’ during bean harvest, but it was planted in 22’ due to PP corn, drew some insurance and was able to chop a feed crop. Have went back all corn silage, it’s still cheap feed because of tonnage, and energy of corn. That said we planted some triticale again last fall, was going to hire it chopped this spring. One of the two guys chopping in our area quit, so we’ll probably be chopping ourselves again. When raised triticale 12-18’ we followed with beans, sometimes planting beans was like planting into a road bed after chopping and dried out, into ruts sometimes, we never had bean yield drag until 2018 when we turned off hot and dry, got 3/4” of rain after planting, beans up then no rain and straw radiating heat. My location is EC Ks between I-70 and I-35

Edited by Big Square 2/19/2024 00:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)