AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feed truck compared to tractor/mixer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

lacockcattleco
Posted 1/19/2024 18:41 (#10582977 - in reply to #10582924)
Subject: RE: Feed truck compared to tractor/mixer

N.E. MT
We have both. I like having both for different reasons. Our cart is 1900cf, main reason I like it is just the capacity and can get around better in mud. it stays at feedlot. Trucks are more maneuverable, faster and easier to get in and out of a take up way less shop space. Our trucks are 1200 supremes. For long distances the automatic transmission trucks stink the 2speeds are always frozen up and they don’t mix as well while driving with the variable engine speed. We bought a manual (8LL) for feeding cows, Goes around 80 miles a day, would suck with a tractor and Works way better to set the cruise and mix feed while driving. Trucks are not great in deep snow and mud otherwise hands down they are better. All three of ours have full lockers 95% of the days in the winter there’s no issues, spring thaw we usually have to make a different plan. If I ever had 2 people around to feed I would prefer 2-1200 trucks over one 1900 cart but for now I do it all myself so the capacity is nice. Having all the feed is in one yard is actually very helpful for lots of reasons, dad had a fit when we started doing it that way but is on board now. We figure 250-275 cows a load with the 1200mixers and 500-600 calves high roughage rations cart is exactly double that. My free .02.

With hardened augers and stainless liners you will get close to 20k hours, without i would say around 12k. Our highest houred truck has 18k hours and will need rebuilt soon, it has stainless liners. We have had very little problems with it, bought used at 6k hours. We plan to overhaul when rebuilding the box but honestly it runs out nice yet just burns a little oil.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)