AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle water supply issue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 1/19/2024 07:58 (#10581928)
Subject: Cattle water supply issue

KY

Been a very long time since we've had an extended cold spell like this, and coupled with a record dry fall and early winter, creeks haven't been flowing much around here. I've got a group of mature cows that I watered all fall out of a pond with a float suspended hose to feed a trough 300 feet away across the road. We finally got just enough rain before the cold nights arrived in early december that I could retire that system, but we got close to getting too dry again right before this cold snap we're in. Luckily, got almost 2" of rain 3 days before it hit, so had some running water, and have made it through the last 6 days of below freezing temps with most nights close to zero, but late yesterday they were down to one small area that was still available. I broke some ice on either side of that spot and was able to find a little water, but the other side of it was more of a pool and was just ice. 20 for the high today and 18 tomorrow, with lows fairly close to zero. Upper and lower 20's Sunday with a good thaw coming Monday and chance of rain all week with 40's and 50's, so concerns are over come Monday.  Am I being overly concerned? We do have a 2" snowcover, I know snow is not a replacement for water but I figure they'll utilize it to get by. I feel like I'm overthinking it, as I know there's folks in open country that don't see their cattle for long periods of time in conditions like these and worse, but I also see a lot of pictures of a lot bigger streams with good flow in some images shared from areas like that.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)