AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle waterers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Doug61
Posted 1/12/2024 13:40 (#10570005 - in reply to #10569575)
Subject: RE: Cattle waterers

Eastern NE KS
I switched to the ribbed ball/wafer 5-10 years ago. They help a little but not much. Our water is siphoned over a dam from the pond so it may be colder than well or rural water that's always underground. This morning (and 10*F) the wafers were lightly froze, easily kicked loose. Hopefully, cows are thirsty to bring in fresh warmer water into the tank.

This afternoon, I plan to dip water out, add some warmed water and lock the cows off the tank. Tomorrow it will be froze again and maybe tight. The ribs help if the water level is below middle of the wafer. Less contact with the red lid. If tight, more warm water to loosen the wafer and bail water to see that valve is open then let the cows in for a drink.

Nights at 0*F and colder are a lot of work, hot water in the evenings help keep the valve open. However if the valve freezes, I have to open the access lid with a lot of warm water and more to
melt the frozen valve. This is a remote setup with no electricity. We average 5-7 cold nights. Luckily, it serves our main cow herd which helps water turnover.

Edited by Doug61 1/12/2024 14:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)