AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Z2 and Extra remote engage Magnum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/31/2023 12:12 (#10550483 - in reply to #10550371)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader Z2 and Extra remote engage Magnum

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am not familiar with the setup in your tractor.

I have a SteerCommand Z2 in my planting tractor but it is CAN. It is in a Deere 8310R and I must use the Deere engage switch that came with the tractor in the Command Arm. I don't believe I could use another switch to engage. At least on my Deere, the factory engage switch is not a simple momentary like some systems. It is a Double Pole Double Throw Momentary type where the output is normally connected to one terminal but is connected to another terminal while the button is being pushed. When the button is released, the connection should be made back to the original terminal. If it does not, the system will refuse to engage for safety concerns.

I learned this the first year I had the tractor. The factory engage switch didn't seem to be reliable. A Deere Tech had me look at some diagnostic screen while I pushed and released the switch. Turns out the switch was bad in the sense that it was not returning to the OFF position where it should make contact with another terminal. Replacing the switch cured that problem. Since the tractor had been out on lease before I took ownership, we reasoned that some sticky liquid like Mountain Dew may have gotten spilled on the switch when it was being run by the crew working for the vegetable processor.

I have Ag Leader's Steady Steer (assisted Steering) in my combine. The combine CAN system is not used in any way with this steering arrangement. It has an external engage/disengage button which I installed. This uses the second port on the Steering Controller box. This button is a simple momentary. Pushing it causes the status to toggle between engage and disengage. I use it for both on the combine. After I get aligned on a new pass, I push it, hold it for a bit and release it to engage the steering. When I reach the other end, I again push it, hold it for a bit and release it to disengage the steering. I could just grab the steering wheel and turn it to disengage the steering but I've gotten into the habit of just clicking the button.

I haven't tried it but it would seem that connecting another switch in parallel should work fine but I really have no need to have two switches. I guess if there were another operator who preferred a foot switch, it could be wired in parallel with the finger switch. Then one operator could use the finger switch and the other use the foot switch. Below is a picture on the finger engage/disengage switch in my combine.

Edited by tedbear 1/3/2024 09:29

(Steady Steer Hand Swich (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Steady Steer Hand Swich (full).JPG (115KB - 26 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)