AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A good layer feed recipe?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 11/29/2023 20:55 (#10502849 - in reply to #10502314)
Subject: RE: A good layer feed recipe?

SE Manitoba
mountain_anderson - 11/29/2023 14:19

Hi all,
Looking to make chicken feed myself in the coming seasons for my laying hens. Can't find a straight shot answer on whether or not I should include such ingredients, soybeans, wheat, etc,. If theres anyone out there that makes their own feed, what is the recipe you go with? I plan to grow all the grains for my hens. Another thing is that I am a strictly organic farm, so it may limit myself a bit on certain ingredients, but what would be a good recipe in percentages? Thanks!

I started with some high protein wheat (found that higher protein levels in the ration means bother better growth and better on the egg laying!)
Added cracked corn (roller mill).
Then I balanced to the protein level that I wanted using a combination of DDGS and soymeal. (Dunno about those and organic although you can get non-gmo beans so you might find some such soymeal but it would be pricey.)
Free choice 1/4" and down crushed limestone.
Free choice grit (#3 for adult girls). They didn't use much with the crushed limestone.

You can mix for a 14, 15, 16 or even more % protein ration.

(I sourced the ingredients by the ton (mini-bulk bags) trying to keep the cost down.
It was hard to find a farmer where I could buy the grains one ton at a time!!!)

good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)