AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming the Hard Way
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jakescia
Posted 11/21/2023 14:42 (#10491100 - in reply to #10490134)
Subject: I am finally old enough to know what "nostalgia" is.........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

I am finally old enough to know what "nostalgia" is.........Watching that video brings back a lot of memories.........During WWII I was born while mom lived with my grandparents on the farm while Dad was overseas.Grandpa had a pair of "percherons" (Dewey and Sparky) (sp) (I think they were) that were the main team.......and my uncles used them to break trail thru the snow to get Grandpa's buick to the highway, so Mom could get to the hospital.Grandpa raised horses, and said that "Dewey" and "Sparky" were the only horses he had ever seen who would freeze and remain motionless when I would escape the house yard, and visit the horse barn........until I left the barn.Those horses were just huge........I vaguely remember walking underneath them, and wondering what those huge handles were that were hanging underneath them.............they never moved an inch...........Even after Dad came home, I still spent a lot of time at Grandpa's..........and can remember when Dewey and Sparky were replaced/supplemented by Grandpa's first tractor-------- an AC WC.Threshing was always a treat for me........I got to drive the team (under supervision, of course) hauling the oats to the bin..........and that cold damned potty pail outside the bedrooms..............Etc, etc.

Edited by jakescia 11/21/2023 14:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)