AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 50 two banger question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

oldbones
Posted 11/20/2023 08:18 (#10489209 - in reply to #10489006)
Subject: RE: John Deere 50 two banger question.

Floyd County, Iowa
The oil pressure activated sediment bowl was on the 2 cylinders starting with the number series. I have a 60 that had the automatic oil pressure activated shut off. It failed and drained the gas into the crank case, so I rebuilt the sediment bowl. Held for a short while, then did it again. I took the automatic sediment bowl off, removed the oil pressure line, and installed one with the manual shutoff. That was about 20 years ago. The new ones have a different o ring seal to stand up to "modern" gas.
I have a 630 that I'm working on, and bought the rebuild kit from Steiner for the sediment bowl. If it should fail, I'll probably switch it over to manual, but would rather keep it original.
If the OP has gas coming out of the valve cover bolt, he has to determine if the gas came from the cylinders filling up and leaking past the valves (sediment bowl shutoff and float failures), or if the gas overfilled the crank case and it got into the valve cover from oil return galleys (sediment bowl shutoff failure only). Either case, I'd probably just put a couple gallons of gas in it for a while and check the oil every time I started it to make sure.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)