AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why is dairy farming so appealing to some folks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

EastOnfarmer
Posted 11/18/2023 15:27 (#10487144 - in reply to #10487110)
Subject: RE: Why is dairy farming so appealing to some folks?

Eastern Ontario, Canada
richvalley - 11/18/2023 15:40

EastOnfarmer - 11/18/2023 11:59

No probably not, but we do produce 40kg milk per day per cow on the herd, and for a small herd do so efficiently, the smaller farms that do things inefficiently are gone here too for the most part.

More like absolutely not! There is no way you could make a living for one guy never mind three without quota. This is one of my biggest peeves when it comes to dairy guy is they will never give credit to the quota for their success. Its not like us cow/calf and grain guys want to farm all over creation but we have no choice. Cow/calf right now in my area is at best 500 an acre gross, based on 5 acres to get a calf to weaning. Do the math on the 10 and 20 acre per cow areas...

Wow, angry much?, It takes a lot of work to dairy farm and I don't have to give credit to anyone but my father and I for increasing our net profit by upward of 30% from the previous generation, we had to to stay in business. alot of debt and hard work, and stress. I'm not going through threads on here carving up the beef business. because i don't know the business. i know it doesn't exist here and thats about it. I stay in my own lane. when i see a question about dairy i try to answer if i can add anything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)