AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High blood pressure and salt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jwal10
Posted 11/12/2023 09:55 (#10479065 - in reply to #10478597)
Subject: RE: High blood pressure and salt

Western Oregon
I got very sick at 19. Blood tests were all messed up. Blood pressure and Cholesterol very high. Very few white blood cells and all different shapes. I was put on a very strict no fat no salt diet. So strict I even had to rinse no-fat cottage cheese and very limited plastic cheese. Very strict list of certain foods I could eat, many special diet foods.
Also put on meds that they never were able to regulate, they just kept changing them as there was no change for the better. I just kept getting sicker. I quit the doctors, they were killing me. I went totally off their whole diet thing, and the meds. I still didn't use any added salt, I didn't watch and keep track of salt so much, just kind of kept it in the back of my mind not to eat known high salt items. I ate fresh, raw and all home cooked. I kept up with the tests and over 2 years things got better. My blood pressure stabilized, not great, towards the higher side of OK. I tried vegan but I just can't get enough protein because I have no stomach, just a small pouch that was formed from what is left of my large intestine. I can't eat soy and have to limit beans. I had a heart scare 5 yrs ago, terrible chest pains, ER said I had a heart attack at some point, shadows on scans. (follow up showed it had nothing to do with my heart). It was inflammation from certain foods. But in the process I was sent to a dietician. She suggested pastured meats and butter, limited cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and oily fish. I eat mostly elk, bison and venison for red meat, Pastured poultry, goat meat and eggs that I raise. A little pastured beef, mostly as ground. I use a small amount of goat milk and make all my dairy from goats milk. Lots of wild salmon that I catch from the rivers near, and yellow perch from my pond. I only use sea salt, after cooking. I find just a very light sprinkle on some foods, that just have to have salt, sprinkled after plating, not mixed in, gives the flavor needed but in a very small amount direct to the taste buds. I use no-salt seasoning from Dollar Tree to season meats and vegetables. Vegetables are steamed, some seasoned with a little pastured butter. I use frozen vegetables if out of season but grow and freeze vegetables that will grow here. I only eat rolled oats, whole or ground myself, no other grains. I eat mostly in season, foods that I grow and gather myself. No processed bought foods. Our spring water, limited amount of home pressed fruit juices and cider, in season....James
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)