AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying farm ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 10/29/2023 13:17 (#10460942 - in reply to #10460704)
Subject: RE: Buying farm ground

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
farkfamilyfarm - 10/29/2023 10:46

I have farmed my whole career watching others farm ground that I had a chance to buy in my early 30’s. I would say I have been overly conservative in my management, and maybe should have stuck my neck out when younger. Ground right next to us. I will admit it still bothers me to this day. I was highly discouraged by my elders to expand the farm. Everyone has that story of the one that got away. I had a chance to purchase another farm across the road at auction and it went for $12,500. Sometimes you just have to step away. I rather enjoy being pretty much debt free at 58 and not sure I want to dive in. All the the ground around me is sewed up for a long time. I still enjoy farming and try to be grateful every day for what I have, and not worry about the ones that got away
I don’t know what to tell you, I would probably tell you to go for it, as long as you can sleep at night.

Doug, just something to remember if you are farming and making a living and in the path to retirement some day. My grandfather is a very smart and conservative person, but was aggressive about buying land. He still has regrets for not buying the so and so farm and then the other so and so farm. And he will tell you that when you drive by them. But he is a very grateful person and always follows up with “but we didn’t go broke doing it”.
That is of value too. Being tight is ok, but loosing sleep every night for 20-30 years ages a person to where it’s not worth it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)