AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ratio of hay to wet ddg in vertical mixer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NDCat99
Posted 10/25/2023 08:56 (#10455106 - in reply to #10453908)
Subject: RE: Ratio of hay to wet ddg in vertical mixer

E ND
I have no idea if it meets your nutritional goals but 1:1 WDG to dry bulky ingredients (by volume, not weight) works well from a handling standpoint and getting a good mix as a minimum. Maybe 1:1.5 on ground stalks depending on how coarse the stalks are and how wet your WDG's are. I'd try 2 buckets of ground hay, 1 bucket of ground stalks and three buckets of WDG and see where it comes out for a mix and adjust to your loader bucket size to get to 10lbs/hd/day. Should come out to about 3 yds3 of WDG to 3 yds3 of ground hay/stalks. I'd say minimum mixer size of 200 ft3 and larger if you want a higher volume of ground hay/stalks in the mix. Doesn't seem like much from a volume standpoint for 300 head, might want to check my math! Might be right now, and increase the hay ratio to the mix as the crop residue plays out or you get snow. To that end you'd want to plan for a mixer that would take maybe triple that volume in hay to get to 40lbs/day?

Would have to do some more math to decide if that's what you want to feed though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)