AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raspberries
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 6/17/2023 20:34 (#10275434 - in reply to #10275202)
Subject: RE: Raspberries

nw NC
I started a black raspberry patch with improved commercial varieties probably 15 years ago. And there have been wild native plants scattered over the farm forever. We pick several gallons of them each year. We eat them fresh as a treat, put them on breakfast cereal, wife makes pies, cakes, and juices them either fresh or frozen for seed-free jelly. Best jelly ever. Picture below of a pie she made using black and red raspberries. Dang, that was a good pie.

The last picture of the bowl with red berries, the berries are known as Wine Raspberries. Some regular red raspberry plants I had ordered did not survive so the nursery sent replacement plants. When they arrived I noticed immediately that they were different than the first reds I received but I planted them anyhow. Next year when they grew and bloomed and filled fruit, did I get a surprise. Took pictures and sent to the nursery. They did not know what they were. After some investigation of my own I learned they are Wine Raspberry. Invasive species , serious pest. Info and pictures ... https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=wine+raspberry+invasive&ia=web I am seeing them now growing in scattered areas over our farm. Birds scattered seed from the original planting. Anywhere other than the original planting gets sprayed with Glyphosate. It kills them.

The berries are quite tasty and made a good jelly. They are the red berries in the pie pictured.

Edited by WJKEIGER 6/18/2023 08:28

(IMG_0342 (full).JPG)

(003 (full).JPG)

(021 (full).JPG)

(IMG_1617 (full).JPG)

(IMG_1866 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0342 (full).JPG (140KB - 290 downloads)
Attachments 003 (full).JPG (228KB - 283 downloads)
Attachments 021 (full).JPG (137KB - 307 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1617 (full).JPG (233KB - 276 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1866 (full).JPG (137KB - 277 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)