AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns - Seychelles Islands Diving ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/16/2023 07:44 (#10273114 - in reply to #10272951)
Subject: I have not

Pittsburg, Kansas

We have not. Looks like fun. Would be a long plane flight(s).

Probably 98% of our diving has been in the Caribbean. Why? Cost mostly. For what it costs to fly to some place like Indonesia or some Pacific location that is nice and stay for a week we can stay in a good place in the Caribbean for three weeks. 

We had 6 weeks in Indonesia booked with plane tickets bought then covid came along and had to cancel. Sulawasi island, Lembeh Straight for 3 weeks and Bunaken National Park for 3 weeks. I think it has opened back up now but wife has kind of got cold feet because of some religious issues there. All those places are probably spelled wrong.

The only other Pacific diving we have done is a little down around Los Cabos Mexico and a week (might have been ten days) in Fiji. Fiji was great. For every variety of fish in the Caribbean there must be 2 to ten varieties of similar but different fish in the Pacific. Colors are also more robust compared to the pastels in the Caribbean. But the flights are long and more expensive to get there. And I am getting older by the minute. I'll be 70 by next spring and as we get older the familiar becomes more alluring than the exotic. Diving in the Caribbean is as easy as falling off a log for us. New places take effort. I hope we keep our desire for the effort for the future. Oh just about forgot about the cold water diving in Puget Sound and up on Vancouver Island near Porpoise Bay. That would be Pacific too, but burrrrr, cold water dry suit diving (but very cool animal life).

So there are a way lot more places we haven't dove than we have. When we were young and able we were limited by the money and time (been diving since 1968, wife since 82). Now we are more limited by our physical ability but our time also as we also like to do a lot of other things, like ride motorcycles and OHV's. Just did a cruise.

For 2022 I ended up with 195 total dives for the calendar year and over 200 total hours under water. I hope to do a little better this year. :-)

Bahamas on a livaboard in August. Back to Bonaire in December.

Edited by John Burns 6/16/2023 07:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)