AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pre-Diabetes, a new term to sell drugs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/13/2023 11:22 (#10268880 - in reply to #10268841)
Subject: diabetes cure vs treatment

Pittsburg, Kansas

I think that is a valid thought. I think most doctors are good people and want to do what is best for their patients (with exceptions of course, in every walk of life there are people only looking out for their own best interests).

My now retired doctor I thought the world of. He was a vet from the Afghanistan war and I never thought he was doing anything that was not in my best interests. He simply didn't know much about nutrition. In fact the very last time I saw him before he retired was after I had lost a hundred pounds and got off all my insulin and quit taking my medications (all on my own initiative, probably not advisable for most). He was greatly surprised and didn't have much to say about my low carb approach other than I seemed to be doing fine. This was a guy that I watched over time succumb to the same insulin resistance and over weight I had. He was at the time a good 75 if not 100 pounds over weight. He had never been terribly skinny but was in pretty good shape twenty years earlier. He had fallen for the same dietary advice I had and it showed. I have not seen him since he retired. I hope he found resolution outside the medical dogma like I did. Maybe my example would make him question his own advice. He was the one early on in my diabetes journey that told me those that went on insulin were better off than trying to increase the pills to try and control it. It was what he was taught and I am sure what the insulin drug reps pushed. My first self injection of insulin started at 2 units (with a free sample pen type - later I switched to conventional vials and needles because of the drastically lower cost per unit of insulin as my requirements kept rising). Later down the road he taught me how to increase it or decrease it 3 units at a time to match my blood glucose levels. Twenty or twenty five years later I was up to 90-100 units of insulin a day (most of it regular, some long term at night). Thanks to that advice I was able to deprescribe myself down to zero insulin injections within a two week period when I went low carb. He knew what he was taught in medical school. I doubt he was taught anything other than prescribing pills and shots in medical school. He did send me to a nutritionist, which gave me the general BS of whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Which is total BS for a diabetic. But that is what the nutritionists was probably taught with an industry behind the teaching making sure they did not teach things that were against the food industry's best interest. She did say cut back on the sugar which I had already done. That was good advice at least.

My life has been saved at least twice by the medical community. I am not against them. They do some miraculous things (my motorcycle accident, life flight and recovery a latest example). But in certain aspects they have been captured by corporate industries that are not interested in curing our problems. They are interested in us having problems and treating those problems. The more treatment the better. Curing something is less profitable.

I cured (or at least put into remission) my diabetes and high blood pressure problem with diet change and without all the pills and insulin I used to take. Good for me, bad for the big food companies and pharma. 

Edited by John Burns 6/13/2023 11:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)