AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Polaris Brake Pressure Switch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/1/2023 07:28 (#10251951)
Subject: Polaris Brake Pressure Switch

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a 2019 Polaris Ranger. The normal starting procedure is to step on the brake pedal and turn the key to start. Lately I have been having to put excessive pressure on the brake pedal to get the starter to energize.

Polaris uses a pressure switch on the Master Cylinder which is located on the firewall behind the left front wheel. This pressure switch activates the brake lights and allows the starter to energize. These pressure switches are on back order and my dealer doesn't expect more until the middle of July.

My great Nephew found a discussion online and one photo shows how an individual just removed the plug to the pressure switch and jammed a short piece of wire in to jump the terminals together. This is a rather crude and temporary solution and it seems to me that the brake lights would always be ON.

Has anyone here had this problem and how did you overcome it? I'm thinking of temporarily inserting pins and running a pair of wires to a momentary switch that I could use to complete the circuit when I wish to use the starter. I could also use it as a manual brake light switch. With this approach the brake lights would not be ON unless I pushed the button. This would be a temporary solution.

One poster on the discussion suggested that the pressure switch is of poor quality and thought that maybe the load of the starter is putting excessive load on it. I'm quite certain that this switch just completes the circuit for the starter and isn't subjected to the load of the starter.

This did get me thinking that when I do get the new switch it would be possible to use it to trigger a relay which I would connect instead of using the pressure switch directly. I could cut off the current plug which mates with the Polaris pressure switch and use it to activate the coil of a light duty relay. The Common and N.O. terminals of the relay would connect to the original circuit where I had cut off the connector. This would mean that the pressure switch would only need to carry the load of the coil of the relay. If the pressure switches are poor quality this might not help the situation.

I did use this idea on a 12V air compressor with a Tru-Count air system on my planter where the pressure switch was originally wired to carry the load of the compressor directly. Using the relay reduced the load on the pressure switch considerably.

Any other ideas?

Edited by tedbear 6/1/2023 07:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)