AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is digifarm rtk as accurate as radio base station rtk?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oilfarmer
Posted 5/29/2023 07:55 (#10247772 - in reply to #10247298)
Subject: RE: Is digifarm rtk as accurate as radio base station rtk?

Ravenna Ohio
dko_scOH - 5/28/2023 20:17

This may hinge on "accuracy" versus "precision." It's hard to beat the precision of an in-field base station, since the correction source is so close. And, if you have it based on a good reference point (learned this the hard way) then it is very repeatable.

But unless you spend the time to survey that reference that point, it may not be as accurate as you had hoped.

A virtual base station is created from surveyed bases near your location. Accuracy is very good, but does drop off with distance. Your data will be precise, relative to your virtual base station. But when you start again tomorrow, you may see a slight shift as you establish a new VBS...again, depending on distance.

At least, that's how I understand it. I've used our CORS network, with very good results. I've used an in-field base station with very good results. The physical base station should be more precise and, therefore, better for work with a vertical component. But it might all be a little off the "real" lat/lon/elev position. On the other hand, a VBS should be very close to true lat/lon/elev, but will likely be less precise than a local base station, especially with distance to the nearest reference base station.

Clear as mud?

I see your reference to Cors. I need to improve over my wass near wood lines. Live between a military installation and West Branch state park. Phone signal vacant in spots. Talked to ODOT rep. He has some doubts too. Any input to those issues. Don't currently steer.just fluid application and related.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)